Dairy-Free | Vegan | Gluten-Free Option | Lactose-Free
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50-60 minutes
What You’ll Need
- 6 cups bread of choice, cubed or torn into 1 ½” – 2” pieces (day old or stale works best)
- 1 Tbsp. vegan butter or oil of choice
- ¾ cup onions, chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. chives, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. oregano, finely chopped
- Egg substitute = to 8 eggs, we used JUST Egg
- 1 cup milk alternative
- 1 cup Vevan Ched-Shred
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
Strata should be assembled and refrigerated for at least 1 hour and up to overnight before baking. When you are ready to bake, remove the strata from the refrigerator and let set out for 30 minutes before baking.
To prepare strata:
- In a skillet over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. butter or oil.
- Add the onions and red bell pepper and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl combine bread cubes, mixture from skillet, chives, oregano, egg substitute, milk alternative, Vevan Ched-Shred, salt, and pepper. Toss together until evenly coated.
- Lightly grease an 8 x 8 oven-safe dish with butter or oil. Pour mixture evenly into dish, cover with foil, and refrigerate for desired amount of time.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake strata for 40-50 minutes or until it is golden and crispy on top while still moist but cooked on the inside.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve warm.