Dairy-Free | Vegan | Gluten-Free | Lacstose-Free
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20–25 minutes
What You’ll Need
- 2 Tbsp. olive or avocado oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced into coins
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 32 oz. vegetable stock
- 2 cans (15.5 oz. each) chickpeas
- 1 bunch kale, washed, trimmed and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 cup Vevan Mozza-Shred
- Gluten-free bread (optional)
- Crushed red pepper, to taste (optional)
- Hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion, carrots and celery, and sauté, stirring occasionally for 6–8 minutes. Add cumin and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chickpeas and stir. Add bay leaves and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cook for 10–15 minutes.
- In the meantime, place a piece of parchment paper on a microwave-safe plate. Add 1 Tbsp. Vevan Mozza-Shred to parchment, spread out in a rectangular shape so the shreds are just touching in a single layer. Cook in microwave on high for 45 seconds. Remove plate from microwave and place Mozza Crisps aside, continuing to make more crisps with remaining Vevan Mozza-Shred.
- When soup is done cooking, stir in lemon zest and juice.
- Add 1 large handful of chopped kale to each of four soup bowls and ladle hot soup over kale. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Mozza Crisps and your favorite gluten-free bread, if desired.
- For a spicy soup, sprinkle with crushed red pepper or your favorite hot sauce.