Vegan | Gluten-Free Option
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50–60 minutes
What You’ll Need
- 3 Tbsp. plant butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour (for gluten free option, use potato starch)
- 2 ½ cups milk alternative
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 1 cup Vevan Ched Shred
- ½ cup Vevan Mozza Shred
- Salt and fresh-cracked pepper, to taste
- 3 lbs. red or yellow potatoes, sliced into ⅛-inch rounds
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter and flour and cook 2–3 minutes. Add milk, nutmeg, mustard and 1 teaspoon of thyme. Whisk over medium heat until just starting to bubble. Remove from heat and stir in dairy-free cheeses until melted. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Layer half of the sliced potatoes in the baking dish and top with half of the sliced onions. Spread half of the cheese sauce on top. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and onions and top with remaining cheese sauce. Sprinkle with remaining thyme.
- Cover lightly with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 20–30 minutes or until lightly browned and potatoes are soft.