Dairy-Free | Vegan | Gluten-Free | Lactose-Free
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
What You’ll Need
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 ½ cups water
- Chipotle Mayo Sauce (recipe below)
- 1 ¼ cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 cups Vevan Ched-Shred
- ⅛ cup minced jalapeño
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn (drained)
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2–3 cups high heat oil (avocado, sunflower or safflower)
Chipotle Mayo Sauce:
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 1 ½ Tbsp. adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers; don’t use the peppers)
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt, to taste
- Combine rice and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, reduce heat to maintain a low simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat (but keep covered) and steam for 10 minutes. Uncover pot, fluff rice with fork and transfer to a medium bowl to cool.
- Prepare Chipotle Mayo Sauce by combining all ingredients in a medium bowl and mixing well. Add more adobo sauce for extra spice. Place in the refrigerator to chill and allow flavors to develop.
- To prepare rice balls; pour panko crumbs onto a shallow bowl or dinner plate; set aside. Add Vevan Ched-Shred, jalapeño, cilantro, red pepper and corn to bowl with cooled rice. Sprinkle with salt and stir until well combined.
- Using an ⅛ cup measuring cup or tablespoon, scoop rice mixture. Use hands to roll into a ball, place in panko crumbs and roll until completely covered.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet or large saucepan to 350°F.
- Place 4–8 balls in oil and fry 2–3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Scoop out with a slotted spoon and place on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels to drain.
- Serve warm with Chipotle Mayo Sauce.