Lactose-Free | Vegan | Gluten-Free
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
What You’ll Need
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 cups TVP- Textured Vegetable Protein (we used Bob’s Red Mill brand)
- 3 Tbsp. ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 cans (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) red kidney beans, with liquid
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, with liquid
- 1 can (15 oz.) hominy, with liquid
- 1 8 oz. bag Vevan Ched-Shred
Optional garnish: tortilla chips, diced avocado, chopped cilantro, lime wedges, vegan sour cream
- In a large bowl, add the TVP flakes and ketchup. Pour 3 cups of boiling water over the TVP flakes and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to a large pot or Dutch oven on medium high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté for about 8 minutes until golden.
- Stir in the spices and cook for a minute more.
- Add the TVP mixture, tomatoes, beans and hominy. Stir to combine.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes to one hour.
Spoon into bowls and top with Vevan Ched-Shred and optional garnish.