Lactose Free | Vegan Option
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
What You’ll Need
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 8 oz. brown or white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¾ cup water or unsweetened milk alternative
- 8 oz. Vevan Mozza-Shred, plus extra for garnish
- 2 cups steamed or roasted broccoli florets, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup cooked chicken or ham, diced (optional)
- Pinch nutmeg
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 oz. whole grain thin spaghetti, cooked al dente
- Olive oil (optional garnish)
- Lemon zest (optional garnish)
- In 3- or 4-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and garlic and sauté until softened, 3–4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, transfer mushroom mixture to separate bowl and set aside. Place saucepan back on burner over medium high heat, add water or milk alternative, and bring to boil. Scrape any mushroom bits into water.
- Add Vevan Mozza-Shred and whisk until melted and sauce starts to thicken. Stir in mushroom mixture, broccoli and meat, if desired. Whisk in a little water if sauce becomes too thick. Remove from heat. Season with nutmeg, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour sauce over hot pasta. Garnish with Vevan Mozza-Shred, olive oil drizzle and lemon zest, if desired.