Dairy-Free | Vegan Option | Gluten-Free Option | Lactose-Free
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50–55 minutes
What You’ll Need
- 1 large head (approx. 2 lbs.) cauliflower, washed, cored and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4–5 garlic cloves, de-skinned
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 5–6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 6 slices Vevan Ched-Melts
- ½ tsp. salt
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings with suggested pairings: fried capers and minced thyme; bacon bits and minced chive; croutons (gluten-free, if preferred) and minced thyme
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Arrange cauliflower and garlic cloves in single layer on baking sheet. Place in oven and dry roast 30–35 minutes, stirring then redistributing in a single layer halfway through cooking. Cauliflower will be a rich golden-brown color.
- When cauliflower is about 10 minutes from done, heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Wrap ¾ of the thyme in an herb bag or wrap with cooking twine. Add thyme and onion to pot and sauté for 5–7 minutes; onions will be translucent.
- When done, remove cauliflower and garlic from oven and add them to the stock pot, along with the vegetable broth. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn heat off and carefully remove thyme sprigs.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup; it could take up to 5 minutes to get a nice creamy consistency. If you prefer, use a blender to puree by ladling soup into blender vessel and blending until smooth and creamy. You may need to do this in two batches to avoid overfilling. Return soup to pot when done.
- Turn heat back on to medium and whisk in almond milk and salt. Break up the slices of Vevan Ched-Melts and sprinkle into soup pot, whisking or stirring until completely melted.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and season with salt, pepper and any toppings as desired.