Take a step back into the comforts of childhood without sacrificing your grown-up tastes with this vegan grilled cheese featuring Vevan dairy-free cheese. Veggies and condiments give it a sophisticated flavor for a delicious plant-based lunch or snack.
What Can Replace Butter in Grilled Cheese?
If you are dairy-free, or if you just want to cut back on your butter intake, there are plenty of delicious substitutes that still give you that crispy, flavorful grilled cheese you had when you were a kid. We use mayonnaise in our grilled cheese! In our humble opinion, it gives the toast a more perfect brown and crunch. Other options include olive oil and, this one might surprise you, even Caesar salad dressing!
Is Grilled Cheese Healthy?
Carbs, cheese, and spread, oh my! At face value, grilled cheese definitely seems like an indulgent treat instead of a well-rounded dinner. Our spin on grilled cheese includes sliced deli meat for extra protein, plus sliced tomato and arugula for some healthy veggies and vitamins! You can nosh away knowing you’re getting multiple food groups.
Dairy-Free | Vegan Option | Gluten-Free Option | Lactose-Free
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1 minute
What You’ll Need
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- 2 slices bread of choice (gluten-free, if preferred)
- 1–2 slices Vevan Mozza-Melts
- 1–2 slices Vevan Ched-Melts
- 1–2 slices deli sliced ham, turkey, chicken (optional)
- 1 small tomato, sliced
- ½ cup arugula
- In small bowl, combine mustard and mayonnaise.
- Toast bread in toaster until golden.
- Spread mayonnaise mixture on each slice of toast.
- Layer one slice of toast with Vevan Mozza-Melts, meat (if using), tomato slices, arugula and Vevan Ched-Melts, then top with remaining slice of toast.
- Place on a microwave safe plate and microwave 30 seconds on high or until cheese is melted.
Optional preparation: For a traditional finish, after removing from microwave, brush outer surfaces of sandwich with oil, butter or vegan butter and heat in skillet over medium-high heat until toasted as desired.