Dairy-Free | Vegan Option | Gluten-Free Option | Lactose-Free
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 6–8 minutes
What You’ll Need
- 1 extra-long English cucumber
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ medium red onion
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple
- ½ lemon
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 lb. ground beef or meat alternative
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3–4 slices Vevan Ched-Melts
- 6–8 Tbsp. mayonnaise (vegan, if preferred)
- 6–8 slider buns (gluten-free, if preferred)
- Wash cucumber and peel if desired. Cut in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds, then cut into thin slices.
- In a colander, toss the cucumber with salt. Allow to drain at least 30 minutes, then tap the colander to release any remaining water. Spread cucumber over a clean dishtowel or two layers of paper towels and blot dry.
- Slice red onion very thin. Soak slices in a small bowl of ice water for 10–15 minutes, then drain in a strainer or colander.
- Wash and core the apple. Slice into julienne strips, place in a medium sized bowl and squeeze lemon juice over slices to prevent oxidizing.
- Wash mint, pat it dry with a paper towel, chop and set aside.
- Divide meat (or meat alternative) into 6–8 equal portions. Season as desired, then form into patties. In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook patties for 2–3 minutes on each side. During the last minute of cooking, add ½ slice Vevan Ched-Melts to each burger, cover skillet with a lid and allow cheese to melt.
- While burgers are cooking, finish the slaw by adding the cucumber, onion and mint to the apples, along with the rice wine vinegar, sugar and ¼ tsp. pepper. Mix well.
- Add mayonnaise to the bottom half of the slider bun. Add the burger and top with a generous portion of slaw mixture. Cover with the top half of the bun and serve.