Dairy-Free | Vegan | Lactose-Free
Makes 24 Samosas
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
What You’ll Need
- 1 medium russet potato, cubed
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil + about 2 cups for frying
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped into 1/4″ pieces
- 1/2 cup cooked lentils
- 1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic
- 3/4 cup Vevan Ched-Shred
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 12 ready-made vegan eggroll wrappers, cut in half
- optional: black sesame seeds for garnish
- serving suggestions: chutney, vegan yogurt mixed with zhoug, pickled carrot & cucumber relish
- Boil potatoes in water for about 10 minutes until fork-tender. Drain and mash lightly. Set aside to cool.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add onions and carrots and cook until onions are golden and carrots are tender, for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add lentils, peas, green onion, granulated garlic and cook for another 3 minutes to combine flavors.
- Remove from heat and stir in mashed potatoes and Vevan Ched-Shred. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside or refrigerate until cooled completely.
- Assemble samosas: Place strips of eggroll wrappers on a work surface. Spoon 1 tablespoon of filling on the bottom of each strip. Fold bottom right hand corner diagonally over the filling to form a triangle. Continue to roll up the triangle making sure you have dough covering the edges to contain the filling. Brush the open edges with water to seal completely.
- Place about 2 cups of oil in a deep pot or pan and heat to 350°F.
- Carefully place the samosas in the hot oil and cook about 2-3 minutes per side until golden. Place cooked samosas on a tray lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Sprinkle with black sesame seeds if desired.
Serve warm with your favorite chutney, dips and pickled relish.