Everything You Need to Know about Vegan Mac n Cheese
When you think of comfort foods, surely one of the top dishes on your mind (and taste buds!) is mac and cheese. Just because you ditched dairy doesn’t mean you have to live without the perfectly gooey, melty goodness you crave. Rediscover the flavors you’ve been missing with our Vegan mac ‘n cheese Recipe and follow these easy steps to make your own in just 20 minutes!
What Is Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese Made of?
With two essential ingredients, macaroni and cheese can be easily reimagined to satisfy a plant-based diet when it gets Vevafied!
Obviously, there’s still macaroni (other pastas like rotini, penne, and shell work too) – we recommend gluten-free options. Then, achieve that incredible creamy texture and authentic bold cheddar flavor you’re craving with Vevan’s 100% awesome, 0% dairy Vevan Ched-Shred.
Beyond the two main ingredients, you’ll need a milk alternative (water works too). We like how this article breaks down your milk alternative options and their flavor profiles when it comes to a vegan mac and cheese.
Lastly, grab a few basic spices from the pantry, and you have yourself a giant bowl of nostalgic happiness!
How to Make Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese
Did you know that President Thomas Jefferson fell in love with mac and cheese while traveling in Europe? He adored this creamy, satisfying meal so much he had it served at an 1802 state dinner! While we share his presidential affinity for this crowd pleaser (his personal chefs made homemade macaroni), our vegan mac ‘n cheese cooks up much faster and still makes all your cheese-lovin’ dreams come true!
And without further ado, your new favorite vegan mac ‘n cheese recipe:
- 8 oz. elbow pasta (gluten-free, if preferred)
- 8 oz. Vevan Ched-Shred
- 1 cup unsweetened milk alternative or water
- Dash garlic powder (optional)
- Salt and coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped chives or thinly sliced green onion (optional garnish)
Step 1: Cook macaroni according to package directions to al dente, i.e. a little firm.
Step 2: While pasta water is boiling, in a separate medium saucepan, bring milk alternative or water to boil.
Step 3: Add Vevan Ched-Shred to medium saucepan and melt into milk alternative/water at a gentle boil for approximately 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid lumps and create a thin, smooth, creamy cheese sauce.
Step 4: Spice it up! Season the cheese sauce with salt and pepper, to taste. Consider adding garlic powder as well (we also recommend roasted garlic powder for a little something extra!), just a dash.
Step 5: Add drained, cooked pasta to medium saucepan cheese mixture. Stir gently and heat through.
Step 6: Divide into bowls (or not – we’ll never tell!) and garnish if desired. ENJOY!
Variations to Vegan Mac and Cheese
While we know this will be one of your go-to recipes, we know recipes can grow stale. How can you change things up?
- Mix in other cheeses – looking to modify your recipe but still maintain its insanely delicious, outrageously awesome flavor? Swap out 4 ounces of Ched-Shred for P’Jack-Shred to spice things up!
- Try other spices – a little spice can go a long way! A pinch of paprika or cayenne pepper adds a bit of kick and color to mac and cheese’s otherwise orange hue. Come autumn, we LOVE a few pinches of nutmeg for an even more savory appeal. And if you’re into the truffle craze, consider truffle salt or zest!
- Go all-in on plant-based – who doesn’t want to squeeze in more veggies every day? Try adding ½ to 1 cup of already cooked/heated vegetables – our go-tos are broccoli, spinach and roasted tomatoes, or even stewed tomatoes (chopped) for a grilled cheese-meets- tomato soup kind of experience.
What to Enjoy with Vegan mac ‘n cheese
While mac ‘n cheese can be a standalone meal, sometimes you want a little something more! Try your vegan mac and cheese with:
- Roasted vegetables – because, roasted vegetables! In summer, try a side of summer squash, and in fall, those hearty root vegetables.
- Tomato soup – it may be overkill if you already mixed in tomatoes, but if not, definitely heat up a bowl on a cold fall or winter day. Consider gazpacho for the warm days.
- Awesome Apple Bread Pudding – save some Ched-Shred for this super savory and sweet dessert, sure to round out the first course and give the whole meal a comfort food feel.
No matter how you choose to enjoy your vegan mac and cheese – with a good book or in good company are always lovely choices – be sure to first grab Vevan products at a store near you!
Dairy-Free | Vegan | Gluten-Free Option | Lactose-Free
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes