It’s no surprise pizza is the world’s #1 takeout food. But if you’re following vegan or dairy-free eating, where does that leave you when it comes to this favorite dairy-laden dish? No matter how you slice it, dairy-free pizza is delicious – stick with us more to learn about this mouthwatering must-eat, including easy-to-make recipes!
Can pizza be dairy-free?
Absolutely, pizza can be dairy-free, but you may struggle finding this option on a menu at a traditional pizza place. Consider what might be dairy in pizza’s main ingredients:
- Dough: At its core, dough can be made from all plant-based components, but milk has found its way into many recipes and pizza franchises, and so has cheese for some of those specialty crusts
- Sauce: Typical tomato sauce is dairy-free, but white pizza often includes alfredo (and ricotta) which is cheese/dairy-based. Ranch dressing has also become a popular dipping sauce.
- Cheese: While there is chemistry behind the love of pizza, we like to think the melty awesomeness of cheese is what draws people to this comfort food. Of course, when you order in, the cheese you’re typically getting is the ooey gooey and moo-ey kind
If you’re looking to enjoy dairy-free pizza, taking matters into your own hands might be your best bet to ensure it’s truly free of the stuff you want to avoid.
How to make dairy-free pizza
No matter what your reason, cutting out certain foods can be a bummer. After all, what’s pizza without mounds of cheese? Vevan cheese was created with this in mind, combining the best plant-based ingredients with the talent of world-class cheesemakers to create sensational flavors so authentic you’ll do a double-take (or maybe a double-taste!).
When the pizza cravings hit, we turn to this Incredible Vegan Pizza recipe to hit the spot:
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 1 pre-made 12-inch pizza crust (gluten-free, if preferred) – if you’re feeling fancy, here’s a plant-based make-at-home dough option with ingredients you should have in your pantry
- ½ cup ready-made pizza sauce – consider our easy dairy-free cheese sauce for a white pizza
- 5 slices Vevan Mozza-Melts – that’s right, we prefer our sliced cheese over the shreds for the optimum melt you’re looking for
- Toppings – pick your favorites or stick with a plain pie
- Preheat oven to 475ºF – non-dairy cheeses bake best when cooked at slightly higher than usual temperatures.
- Place pizza crust on a large baking sheet. Spread thin layer of sauce on crust.
- Tear Vevan Mozza-Melts into 2-inch pieces and scatter over sauce. Add toppings if desired.
- Bake 10–12 minutes, until crust is golden and cheese is melted.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
If you’re feeling pizza in the am hours or maybe a weekend brunch, we also recommend this dairy-free breakfast option. Hosting a party? Enjoy these dairy-free pizza toastinis for the perfect finger food!
What to put on dairy-free pizza
One of the reasons pizza is so magical is its versatility! Toppings are a fun way to change things up and customize the experience for those around the table.
Here are some fun topping combinations to keep your pizza fresh:
- Hawaiian – we won’t pick sides in this great debate, but if you enjoy pineapple on your pizza, we recommend accompanying it with a tangy red sauce (marinara is a good choice), Vevan Mozza-Melts, and a healthy sprinkling of garlic and oregano
- Veggie-tastic – a great way to clean out your veggie drawer at the end of the week, dice up leftover bits of vegetables like onion, broccoli, pepper, mushrooms, spinach, olives, and tomato; top a baked and cooled pizza crust with our Garlic & Herb UnCreamCheese, a few handfuls of our Ched-Shred, and veggies (raw or roasted if you prefer) for a nutrition-filled combo
- Taco – check out this Taco Bell copycat recipe using all vegan ingredients; be sure to swap in our P’Jack-Shred for an extra kick of fun
How to eat dairy-free pizza
Pizza is one of those foods that works for a party of one or a party of many. A perfect companion is salad – check out these dairy-free salad options for any season or reason! If you’re looking for a taste of Italy or carb-festing on a rainy day, these craveworthy dairy-free pasta recipes offer something for everyone. Round out your dairy-free pizza dining experience with dairy-free desserts to end the meal on a sweet note.
Dairy-free pizza is a treat for those who’ve gone dairy-free or are trying to reduce dairy, but still have those pizza cravings. Enjoy the taste journey of finding one that delights your tastebuds.
Share your dairy-free pizza recipes using our lineup of dairy-free cheeses on Instagram and be sure to tag us @vevan.foods.