Aim for the moon, land on a star! Going vegan can be a challenge when it feels like a drastic lifestyle change. To make the transition easier, some people have a short-term goal of shifting to a flexitarian plant-based diet (and many love the flexibility of flexitarian eating so much that their journey ends here).
As with any attempt at building a new habit, changing how you eat can go poorly when you bite off more – or less – than you can chew. Planning three square meals a day can get you on the right track, but don’t skip the snacks! Never fear, Vevan is here to share our not-so-secret suggestions for 10 insanely delicious, outrageously awesome and easy flexitarian snacks to keep you feeling full and your tastebuds happy.
What foods can a flexitarian eat?
In case you’re new to flexitarianism, before we school you on our fave flexitarian snacks, let’s quickly cover what this path entails. Flexitarian eating is less about restricting foods and more about eating unprocessed, whole, and mostly plant-based foods.
In general, flexitarian staples include fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, whole grains, meat alternatives (think tofu, seitan) and dairy-free products like cheeses, milks, and yogurts.
Can flexitarians eat meat occasionally? Yes, meat, dairy, and processed foods like sweets fall under the “flex” category of foods consumed 1-3 times a month, or on occasion.
The beauty of flexitarian eating is truly the flexibility, but if you aren’t sure if it’s right for you, dig deeper. Giving it a whirl? Check out this online meal planning guide and these go-to on-the-go meal options!
What do flexitarians eat for snacks?
Now that you understand what flexitarians eat in general, what do they turn to when feeling snackish? No matter what type of diet you follow, everybody snacks! Just as important as meal planning, snack planning and prep are keys to a successful day. When your midday (or midnight) cravings creep in, stay on track and enjoy our best Vevified flexitarian snacks to help you rediscover the flavors you’ve been missing.
Check out these 10 snacking ideas, based on your snacking preferences:
For the grazers – meals not really your thing? No problem! Rest assured these heavy snacks can keep your hanger at bay!
1. Savory, Spicy & Sweet Puff Pastry Bites – this recipe covers all the bases, with three unique filling options, each using Vevan P’Jack-Shred, Ched-Shred or Mozza-Shred for creamy goodness. Consider baking in batches, freezing, and saving for rainy day munchies sure to satisfy.
3. Curried Butternut & Apple Soup With Ched & Almond Crisps – soup for a snack? 100% yes, 100% awesome, 0% dairy! All you need is a cup-sized serving and a few of these Vevan Ched-Shred crisps for a savory, sweet, satisfying combo.
For the average snacker – reaching for a light pre- or post-lunch treat? Try these ideas on for size. We think they’ll fit just right.
4. Marinated Antipasti Bruschetta – swap in a whole grain baguette to make this a truly flexitarian snack. What, ready in 10 minutes? Yes, with Vevan Marinated Mozza-Bites Antipasti, this delectable recipe whips up in a pinch.
5. Charcuterie – “bored” with your regular snacks? Try a board! Just customize a snack serving of your favorite dairy-free cheeses (we recommended Vevan Melts), fruits, nuts, veggies and more for a quick pick-me-up. Feeling fancy? Serve on a tiny board – it helps with portion control too!
6. Vegetable Samosas – just 2 or 3 of these tasty triangular treats will hit the spot. While these take a little time to prep and perfect, they’re sure to go down quickly when dipped in your fave chutney or relish!
For the on-the-go snackers – when convenience is paramount, you need no-maintenance snacks that are ready when you are.
7. P’Jack Snax – the creamy perfection of Vevan snacking cubes paired with dried fruit and roasted nuts is a flexitarian fix bursting with flavor! Our P’Jack Snax packs some heat that mellows ever so slightly with smoked almonds and tart dried cranberries.
8. Lemon Poppyseed Mozza Snax – it’s like summer unleashed, with creamy bite-size cubes of Vevan Mozza, infused with lemon and poppyseed, plus dried blueberries and roasted, salted cashews. Truly refreshing.
9. Marinated Mozza-Bites – a delicious flexitarian snack – just add a fork! These creamy bites of herbed Mozza marinated in an Italian herb oil blend are seriously perfect for devouring right out of the container whenever you have a hankering for something savory.
10. Marinated Antipasti – take Marinated Mozza-Bites and add sweet and tangy Peruvian Pearl peppers, kalamata olives and pepperoncini for a completely fulfilling and filling snack. Pro tip: pair with a serving of raw veggies and call it lunch.
When flexitarianism takes flight
There are lots of misconceptions about plant-based diets, specifically that they lack flavor and excitement. We trust after reading these flexitarian snack options to prep (or not) and keep on hand, you’re ready to get Vevafied! Vevan is a plant-based taste revolution in every way, and we are committed to bringing you products, recipes and creative resources to support you on your journey.
If veganism or flexitarianism is your true north, let Vevan be your compass and your guide. And be sure to pack some tasty flexitarian snacks (you can’t go wrong with this perfect 10!) for the adventure!