Mexican meals, how we love thee – let us count the ways! A recent magazine article shared some of the top reasons people dig Mexican food: it tastes great, it’s affordable to make, it contains fresh and healthy ingredients, it reflects the festive Mexican culture, and it’s versatile. While we’re totally on board with all of these, we think another major benefit of Mexican dishes was left out: they’re super easy to prepare! And thanks to Vevan, you can enjoy yours dairy-free as well. Check out these pro tips and easy Mexican dishes for your next fiesta or regular weeknight rotation.
Easy Mexican Dishes: Dairy-free Tacos
While tacos may not be the most popular food in Mexico, they certainly rate in the U.S., with “Taco Tuesday” being a beloved household and restaurant event. Whether you’re a soft or crunchy, spicy or mild taco eater, these three dairy-free taco recipes can be prepared with ease:
- Delish Dairy-Free Tacos – keep Tuesday (or anyday) fresh with this simple, go-to recipe! Pick your favorite ground meat or meat alternative and prepare with your preferred taco seasoning. Load up your tacos with fresh toppings, most notably Vevan Ched-Shred. Feeling extra hungry? Whip up a side of Mexican rice and/or black beans to enjoy as toppings or sides.
- Vegan Tacos with Zesty Cream Sauce – this vegan recipe uses a hearty serving of chickpeas or garbanzo beans as its protein source. Melt our Vevan P’Jack Shred into a spicy cheesy sauce, perfect for pairing with crunchy cabbage, pico de gallo, avocado, and a fresh spritz of lime. Dinner is served in just 20 minutes!
- Crunchy Vegan Taco Wrap – level up with this tortilla/tostada combo! After carefully following assembly instructions, heat your crunch wraps until the tortillas brown, locking in the dairy-free melty cheese goodness!
PRO-TIP: for any of these recipes, consider making an extra helping of protein and freezing it for a future meal. It defrosts so easily and helps make this easy Mexican dish EVEN more spec-taco-lar!
Easy Mexican Dishes: Dairy-Free Enchiladas
Another Mexican meal we’ve made dairy-free is these Butternut Squash Enchiladas! More closely aligned with authentic Mexican enchiladas, which use less meat and pair well with vegetables, we’ve baked several delicious veggies right into this easy Mexican dish: red onion, roasted red peppers, spinach, and, hence the name, butternut squash!
You’ll be on a roll with this simple dinner once you fill each tortilla with the hearty vegetable mix, place in a row in a greased 9×13 pan, and top with enchilada sauce and a blend of Vevan P’Jack-Shred and Mozza-Shred. While baking for 25 minutes, be sure to mix up a batch of our Cilantro Lime Cashew Cream sauce for a tangy topping.
PRO-TIP: Consider pre-heating your baking pan and pan-frying your tortillas to help avoid sogginess when topped with enchilada sauce.
Easy Mexican Dishes: Dairy-Free Apps
Perhaps your favorite Mexican foods are the shareables. Who doesn’t love to gather with friends and family and start their meal with tortilla chips? Yes, we know the guac is extra and so are we! The chips are never stacked against you when you enjoy your favorite crunchy cravings with one of our dairy-free easy Mexican dishes:
- Dairy-Free Melty Nachos – the key to the awesomeness of this ooey gooey melted perfection? The two-step heating process! Create a layer of chips on a sheet of parchment paper on a microwave-safe plate, then top with layers of Vevan Shred (P’Jack + Ched = awesome), black beans, and corn. Microwave for 1-minute before transferring to a baking sheet, baking on the lowest rack of the oven for 6–8 minutes at 375°, just until the cheese is melted. Add your desired toppings like avocado, peppers, proteins, and more!
- 7 Layer Dip – when I dip, you dip, we dip! This delectable dish uses dairy-free cheese and sour cream to create an incredible combination of flavors in just 15 minutes! Be sure to completely cover the guacamole layer so it doesn’t brown. Consider making overnight and refrigerating so flavors have more time to blend.
PRO-TIP: We firmly believe there is no season where these apps don’t make sense. Consider purchasing colored tortilla chips for your occasion, like red and green for Christmas; red, white, and blue for summer picnics; the colors of your favorite sports team when inviting friends to watch a game. Add some color to your meal!
Show Us Your Easy Mexican Dishes
Whether you’re searching for easy Mexican dishes for a crowd, vegetarian or dairy-free Mexican options, or recipes that are cheap to make, we’ve got you covered. Looking for more? Check out our Cinco de Mayo suggestions!
Show us what’s cooking at your place! Share your photos and recipes on social media and be sure to tag us @vevan.foods when using our 0% dairy, 100% awesome cheeses.