Dairy-Free | Vegan | Gluten-Free | Lactose-Free
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
What You’ll Need
- 2 tsp. olive oil, plus extra for crisping
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled & diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 ½ tsp. dried mixed herbs of choice (we like thyme, rosemary, marjoram and oregano)
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 2 ½ cups cooked green or brown lentils (not red)
- ½ cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 6 slices Vevan Mozza-Melts
- 5 cups mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil, onion, carrots and garlic. Sauté until onions are golden brown and carrots are starting to soften. Add dried herbs, tomatoes, lentils, peas, salt and pepper. Stir well and heat until just bubbling, then remove from heat.
- Spoon mixture into a 9-inch cast iron pan or 8-by-8-inch glass baking dish. Layer Mozza-Melts over the filling, then top with mashed potatoes. Use a fork to spread out potatoes, leaving some roughed up bits to become crispy while baking. For more crispy potatoes, brush with a bit of olive oil.
- Place on a baking tray (to catch possible overflow). Bake for 30 minutes, then place under broiler for 2–3 minutes before serving.