Whether it’s mid-morning, mid-afternoon, or minutes til midnight, everyone feels snackish sometimes. But finding snacks that everyone in a household or at a party enjoys can be a challenge, especially when on a dairy-free diet. Until now! Check out our favorite cheesy, dairy-free snacks – there’s something here for everyone.
What snacks are dairy-free?
There are many misconceptions about dairy-free eating, along what makes the dos and don’ts list of foods. When it comes to dairy-free snacks, the same questions about what you cannot eat pop up. Our shortlist of items to exclude in your quest for nondairy noshing include cream, butter, yogurt and milk derived from cow’s milk, goat’s milk or milk from an animal. Beyond that, the world is your oyster (oysters, also dairy-free)!
If you’re looking for prep-free, on-the-go dairy-free snacks, especially for kids who have zero patience when it comes to needing an instantaneous snack, here are some great options:
- Fruit – freshly cut apples, bananas, pears, melons, and berries are a great go-to, rich in vitamins and flavor, best when in season
- Veggies – celery and carrot sticks, especially when paired with a favorite dip, are a tasty and highly portable snack. Before you ask, yes, ranch usually does contain dairy (it’s the buttermilk). We recommend hummus!
- Nuts – if no allergies, a handful of cashews, almonds, or peanuts is a good source of protein and offers a myriad other health benefits
- Hard-boiled eggs – while often lumped into the dairy category, eggs are a calcium- and protein-rich food, perfect for snacking when hard-boiled; side note: they’re easy and relatively fast to make and can last up to one week in the fridge
- Vevan Snax – for the utmost ease and cheese lover in your life, our Vevan Snax offer two mouthwatering options, spicy P’Jack Snax for a zesty pick me up or Lemon Poppyseed Snax for a perfectly balanced snacking experience
What snacks are dairy-free, high-calorie snacks?
A recent survey showed 58% of 18-24 year olds in the U.S. often eat snacks as meal replacements; just over 50% of 25-44 years olds share this behavior! For this audience, finding dairy-free high-calorie snacks is important to help feel satisfied and content for longer periods of time, i.e. until the next meal.
If you find yourself in this group or are living with someone else who is a heavy snacker, check out these calorie-dense options:
- Curried Chickpea Salad & P’Jack Pinwheels – the only thing easier than prepping these is eating them! These hearty handhelds are filled with chickpeas, celery, carrots, cashews, raisins, greens, a handful of spices, vegan mayo and our Vevan P’Jack-Shred. Simply mash, stir, spread, and roll into tortillas, slicing into the perfect snack-size pinwheels!
- Mac ‘n Cheeze Mini Bites with Herbed Topping – mac ‘n cheese in bite-sized servings? Don’t mind if we do! After mixing together prepared macaroni, spices, and our Vevan Ched-Shred sauce, divide into mini muffin pan, top with herbed breadcrumb topping and bake. Serve warm or reheat to enjoy any time of day.
- Red and White Pizza Toastini – made with items you likely have in your pantry, we’ll toast to toastini any day! Top a slice baguette with pizza sauce, our Mozza-Melts, other favorites like pepperoni, mushrooms, etc., a little olive oil and spices and bake just 10 minutes. This ooey, gooey melty goodness is perfect for even the pickiest snackers!
Be prepared for any snack attacks that come your way throughout the day when you feast on these filling bites.
What to do for dairy-free snacks for a party?
When it comes to hosting large groups of guests, many people “cook for an army” with multi-course meals or potlucks. But if you’re intentionally seeking lighter fare options, by no snacks-ident, you can plan on these crowd-pleasers:
- Cheese Board – a dairy-free cheese board is always a hit, with so many ways to change it up for an occasion like a holiday or theme. Especially on a warm day, when paired with cocktails, cheese boards can be the center of any party and keep snackers coming back for more. Simply refill with extra cheese, meat, crackers, fruits, spreads, and whatever delights your people. Looking for a more mobile idea? Guests can mingle with ease while enjoying our Charcuterie Cups.
- Vegetable Samosas – these triangle pastries, filled mostly with potatoes, lentils and our savory Vevan Ched-Shred, make a great small plate option. Easily prepare a double or triple batch of the filling for larger gatherings. Serve warm with your favorite chutney, dips and pickled relish. Don’t worry about them getting cold – the serving dish will be empty quickly!
- Cheezy Butternut Squash & Lentil Veggie Balls – this dish makes an incredi-ball impression! Perfectly cheesy and dairy-free, this snack works great served over greens or dipped in marinara. Leftovers? No problem – freeze for future parties.
These versatile snack ideas keep prep time short and bellies full, all party-long!
Just as dairy-free snacks come in all shapes, portion sizes, and packages, so do the people consuming them. One of the best things about these snacks? Even those not on a dairy-free diet can agree on how insanely delicious they are!
Say hello to snacks and hello to Vevan! Tell us about your favorite dairy-free snacks and be sure to tag us @vevan.foods when you use our Vevan cheese products. Want more dairy free recipes? Download our cookbook!