What’s not to love about shredded cheese? It’s a time-saver in the kitchen, ready to be added to your favorite recipes in an instant! No wonder it’s the top selling form of cheese in the US! Whether you’re new to veganism, a plant-based diet or dairy-free eating, or even if you’re a seasoned flexitarian, we know there’s a lot to learn about vegan cheese, let alone the nuances of vegan shredded cheese. Check out these answers to your top questions about how to find a delicious vegan shredded cheese.
1. Does Vegan Shredded Cheese Melt?
Yes, vegan shredded cheese does melt, but there are some things you should know if you want to achieve optimal goodness (and gooeyness!)!
In general, plant-based cheese must be heated at higher temperatures for the creamiest and best results. If using an oven, expect to bake dishes at 425ºF to experience that gooey perfection found in these Mini P’Jack Potato Bites.
Vegan shredded cheese is a perfect base for cheese sauces to top off your favorite pasta recipes or even this to-die-for fondue. To make your sauce using a stove, crank the heat to medium-high and stir occasionally – let the heat do the work!
MELTING VEGAN SHREDDED CHEESE IN THE MICROWAVE: Not a fan of the stove? Wave if you’re using the microwave (we see you). No problem – vegan shredded cheese can also melt beautifully in the microwave. Because all microwaves are different, our Vevan kitchen crew recommends the stop-and-stir method for sauces:
- Heat for 1 minute, stir.
- Then set your microwave to heat in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until you reach boss melt status.
- Sauce too thick? Add more alternative milk or water, a teaspoon at a time.
- Sauce too thin? Add more vegan shredded cheese, a tablespoon at a time.
FUN FACT: If you’re looking for those familiar super gooey globs of cheesy goodness on your pizza, try switching it up and using Vevan Mozza-Melts! Simply tear the Melts into smaller pieces and arrange atop your crust, like in this Red and White Pizza Toastini recipe, where we cranked the oven to 475ºF. Trust us, it will melt your heart.
2. Can Vegan Shredded Cheese Be Substituted Into Any Recipe?
OMG yes! Vegan shredded cheese helps you enhance and enjoy your favorite recipes. Ditched dairy? Get Vevafied! Part of what makes Vevan Shred insanely delicious and outrageously awesome is it comes in three authentic flavors. You can satisfy your tastebuds and rediscover the flavors you’ve been missing when you use:
- Mozza-Shred – craving those long strings of gooey, melty goodness typically found in Italian cooking? Find that magic melt in Vevan Mozza-Shred! Get your fix with this Fried Pasta with a Mozza Vodka Sauce or this super savory Roasted Vegetable & Mozza Pot Pies dinner recipe. If you’re app-happy, discover how Mozza-Shred adds a new twist to this Herbed Mozza Monkey Bread! Don’t be surprised if you find yourself wanting to sprinkle this on everything. Zero judgment if you eat it straight out of the bag.
- Ched-Shred – for that hint of bold in any recipe, try Vevan Ched-Shred! Obviously there are staples like Savory Vegan Mac and Cheese and toppings for your favorite Hearty Vegan Chili, but this vegan shredded cheese covers some ground in this unexpected Awesome Apple Bread Pudding and these Fiesta Rice Bombs. Watching sports this weekend? Don’t deny yourself this winning Pretzel Bites with Ched and Whole Grain Mustard Dip recipe, ready in just 5 minutes.
- P’Jack-Shred – variety is the spice of life, and P’Jack-Shred is just the dairy-free cheese you’ve been looking for to make food exciting. Make meal planning fun with recipes like our Tex Mex Chick’n & Crispy Cornmeal P’Jack Waffles (a mouthful to both say and enjoy) or these Vegan Spicy Stuffed Pasilla Peppers. Find seven more reasons to love P’Jack in this Fan Favorite 7 Layer Mexican Dip. Fiesta!
3. Does Vegan Shredded Cheese Taste Good?
It’s a trifecta! Yes, vegan cheese does taste good because it’s made with plant-based goodness, i.e. 100% awesome and 0% dairy.
Since Vevan is crafted by artisan cheesemakers, you never have to leave your best recipes behind when you choose a plant-based diet. Enjoy that same mouthfeel and creamy texture to rock all your favorite foods. Many people wonder what vegan cheese is actually made of, and we’re pleased to share every product in the Vevan lineup is carefully and meticulously concocted with the stuff dairy-free dreams are made of.
While there’s no Shred of doubt in our minds about the deliciousness of vegan shredded cheese, don’t just take our word for it – try it for yourself! Find Vevan Shreds at a store near you.